Webster's Falls, noted for its panoramas, is a 22 metre high classical curtain/ plunge waterfall found in the Spencer Gorge/Webster's Falls Conservation Area in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. The water flows down Spencer Creek. In the past known as Spencer Falls, Hart Falls, Fisher Falls and Flamborough Falls. Webster Falls, with its 30 metres (98 ft) crest, it is the largest within the city.
Ownership of this land changed many hands until 1819 when the land was owned by the Webster family; the house is on Webster's Falls Road. Today the land is owned by the Hamilton Conservation Authority.
View Larger Map
Saturday, April 24, 2010
View Larger Map
In 1850, Point Clark was originally called The Point. Later, the area was known as Pine Point as a lantern was hung from a pine tree to warn sailors of the shoal off the point, prior to the building of the lighthouse. After settlers moved in from Clark Township, Huron County, the town received the name it bears today—Point Clark
Point Clark is known for its lighthouse which warns sailors of the shoal 2 miles off the Lake Huron coast. The lighthouse is 110 feet tall, made of limestone brought from Inverhuron by barge. Construction of the lighthouse started in 1857. There are 114 steps from the bottom to the lantern room. The 12 sided cast iron lantern was first lit on April 1, 1859 and is 87 feet from the base of the tower. The Point Clark lighthouse was the first Ontario lighthouse to be designated a National Historic Site by Parks Canada. The lighthouse was built by John Brown in the well-known series of the six Imperial Towers. To help build the lighthouse, several French builders were used. The light was first automated in 1924, but as a result of the poor quality of the light the original second-order fresnel lens was reinstalled. In 1963 the fresnel lens was automated. Its light characteristic is a single white flash every ten seconds, emitted at a focal plane height of 93 feet (28.5 m).
The lightkeeper's house is now a museum operated by the Township of Huron-Kinloss and tourists can tour the lightkeeper's home and the lighthouse from mid June to Labour Day